Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Message to My Fellow Soldiers on Halloween

I love Halloween just  as much as anyone else. However, I must say that I hate it when people wear a military uniform as a Halloween costume. I say this for one reason alone; that it's disrespectful to the dead, as well as those still fighting for us overseas.

I am using this topic today because my Facebook friend thought it was cool perhaps to wear the Army ACUs to wear this to a Halloween party and then to post the picture up with the following caption, "Killn it ready for war" In response I wrote,"why are you wearing that uniform? if you didn't earn it, don't wear it. btw, you don't look cute and you are wearing it all types of wrong."Some other Facebook friend of his wrote," Its called halloween lighten up lol hater". I'm really not a hater. So, I didn't feel the need to address this person's specific comment. So instead of writing that I'm really not a hater, I wrote, " Its disrespectful. That uniform means something more than a costume. People die for our country while wearing that uniform. It should absolutely not be worn as a costume. This is coming from an American soldier".

Some people would argue that I am a hater, but I would argue that its perhaps my Facebook friend that is the hater here. As I said in the response, people die in this uniform that represents American freedom and autonomy; what is a better way to disrespect the dead without going up to the grave and spitting on it or the American flag itself?


On that note, I am going to ask my readers (and especially the one's who are soldiers, marines, sailors, airmen, ect) to 1) to have fun :) 2) to be safe 3) to let people know (in a calm way) who wear the uniform in such a manner that it isn't cool. I understand especially that military personnel may have friends that do this, and as a result, might not want to speak up. But as I see it: those of us to wear the uniform, or have gotten injured while wearing the uniform... you guys are my family. And I would defend my family any day to anyone who tried to disrespect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment